[mythtv-users] Can't see my tuner card?

Batshua bat Yehonatan batshua at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:48:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk>wrote:

> Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
>
>  I don't have access to the rooftop in my living situation. I just have an
>> indoor antenna hooked up to the tuner card. My TV's HD, but I don't think
>> it has an antenna builtinŠ I never thought to check.
>>

> Other than portables, I've never seen a TV with antenna built in.
>
> The first thing you need to do is *prove* that you are in fact getting a
> signal at teh connection you are putting into your tuner card. That means
> taking a TV to that location, putting the same plug from the same cable
> into the TV instead of the tuner card - and checking that you can get at
> least one channel.
>
> Then double check that the pin isn't bent on either the plug or the socket
> on the card and reconnect that cable to the card. AT this point, you now
> know that there is a signal and if you don't detect anything with a scan
> then either the card or the supporting software is faulty.
>
> Of course, if you can't get anything on the TV, you need to fix that !

The pin IS a little wonky on one end, but with coax, doesn't it by nature
force the pin into the right position?

I scanned for channels on the TV with the antenna and found none, but some
were black and some were snowy. Does that tell us anything useful?

A friend of mine has a different antenna we're going to try next; I am not
optimistic that my landlord will be helpful with the antenna situation, so
if I don't have to involve him that's best.