[mythtv-users] Black outline on captions in MythTV-0.25

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:42:02 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Kane Tse <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have noticed that CC-608 and external files closed captions (without
> a solid black background) no longer have a thin black borders around
> each letter like they used to under 0.24.  This makes them hard to see
> against bright images.  I am forced to use the full black background,
> which obscures more of the underlying image.
>
> I raised the same issue when going from 0.23.1 to 0.24 in the
> following thread, which was fixed:

> ... does anyone know if the patch mentioned by Mark Kendall in that
> thread got dropped from 0.25?
>
> As an aside, I'm aware that CC-708 "ATSC" captions have their own
> styles defined, so the patch wouldn't apply.  I am ensuring that I am
> selecting the correct caption type in mythfrontend during playback.

I refactored and (hopefully) improved all the text-based caption
formatting, except for teletext, for 0.25.  I wasn't aware that there
were black borders in the absence of the black background, though it
would make perfect sense for readability.  I'll look back through the
history and fix any regressions for 0.25-fixes.  It would be helpful
if you could create a new ticket for reference.

As Mike Dean already pointed out, a new theme file in 0.26
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Osd_subtitle.xml) will allow the themer to
control or override all aspects of the font and background,
independently across all the caption types.  You can even have
pulsating backgrounds if you want. :)

Jim