[mythtv-users] Failed to Scan SG Video Hosts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 15 17:57:01 UTC 2012

On 05/15/2012 08:13 AM, Andrew Potter wrote:

> Ok, Getting this error and with help from Nick Rout, have narrowed it
> down to an inadvertent hostname change.
>
> Hostname was changed when I was having trouble with the install, due
> to sound issues. So performed a full install again but restored the
> database. I thought I had kept the same hostname but I screwed  on a
> capital and transposed a term. I thought the host name was something
> like Potter-Myth-Master-Backend.
>
> I completed a bit more checking and found the storagegroup table has
> 36 rows.
>
> 18 where the hostname is incorrect "potter-Myth-Backend-Master" and 18
> where the hostname is the new name "Potter-Myth-Master-Backend". So as
> suspected it is a hostname problem.
>

> So to fix the issue is it OK to run a sql command to delete all
> database entries that refer to the old hostname?

The best fix is:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration#Retiring_an_old_backend

> Or should I, as suggested in section 23.12 of the documentation, issue
> the following command:-
>
> mythconverg_restore.pl --change_hostname
> --old_hostname="potter-Myth-Backend-Master"
> --new_hostname="Potter-Myth-MasterBackend"
>
> I am concerned this will just modify the first 18 rows to duplicate
> the second 18 rows in the storage group table and possibly elsewhere
> in other tables!!

You can't use the mythconverg_restore.pl --change_hostname approach,
now, because you've already run MythTV applications with the new host
name, so you'll end up with (a mess of) duplicate rows.  That will only
work if you do that /before/ running any applications on the system with
the new host name--meaning before any applications have put in new data
that uses the new host name.

Mike