[mythtv-users] My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

Kane Tse kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue May 15 17:35:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Although
>> I don't see any signs of failure on the motherboard's on-board Gigabit
>> ethernet adapter, clearly, the problem was a network-related issue.
>
> There are a number of ethernet adapters with "interesting"
> issues on LInux.  Certain Realtek and Broadcom adapters
> (not all) have anecdotal reports of being the most problematic.
> Intel adapters seem to "just work".  Your driver will vary.

The motherboard's on board Gigabit ethernet adapter was a Realtek, the
add-in PCI ethernet card now dedicated to the HDhomerun was a Linksys
(using the 'tulip' driver).  So to a certain extent, the scenario you
present is certainly a possibility.

Interestingly, over ~48 hours of uptime, the HDHomerun has generated
way more network traffic than the rest of my LAN.

HDhomerun dedicated network:
RX bytes:204858921431 (190.7 GiB)  TX bytes:168445095 (160.6 MiB)

Rest of LAN:
RX bytes:8070386187 (7.5 GiB)  TX bytes:21068097478 (19.6 GiB)

And this particular Linux machine runs 3 virtual machines, is a
Samba-PDC, and several other functions.