[mythtv-users] Quiet PC / Frontend recomendation

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Mon May 14 14:53:39 UTC 2012

On 13 May 2012 21:25, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 06:07:07PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
>> >  I'm planning to build a new PC which will also function as a
>> > mythtv frontend in my small office (wired ethernet) and replace an ageing HP
>> > Evo D530 corporate PC.  Cost and noise is the main factors for me.  Here's
>> > my current shopping list
>> >
>> > VTX3D VX6670 2GBK3-H AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (2GB, PCI-Express, AMD
>> > App Acceleration) - £58.73
>> >
>> > Any other comments / suggestions ?
>>
>> As far as MythTV is concerned, most people on this list seem to prefer
>> Nvidia based graphics cards, which support VDPAU video playback
>
>   In my own experience, the nvidia driver is better at dealing with HDTVs.
> Some TVs give out bogus EDID data that confuses other drivers. The nvidia
> drivers seem to "just work".
>
>   This is a matter of personal experience. If this is something that has
> recently changed, I would be happy to hear of it.
>
> [deletia]

I recently upgraded my frontend to 0.25 and have updated my blog post
(original blog died, so this is a new link to those already on
mythtv-users).   This post has a 'currently working' post while
leaving the original installation post intact.  There is some
technical and anecdotal information wrt NVIDIA, ION and HD playback
for MythTV.

http://yabbdt.blogspot.ca/2011/02/mythtv_08.html

It may be of interest to those looking for a frontend ~$200 mark who
are happy with 720p.
The Zotac box is 'quiet' compared to a desktop but you can still hear
the fan in a quiet room.