[mythtv-users] Quiet PC / Frontend recomendation

Ian mythtv at freakzilla.com
Mon May 14 03:30:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, 13 May 2012, Jason McLeod wrote:

> I just bought a Zotac Z-Box HD-41, and it is fantastic. The latest
> NVIDEA drivers work on it, and VDPAU does a great job decoding videos.
> I stream my HD antenna directly to it without any problems at all.

I'll second this opinion. A few years ago I was looking to replace a very
aging Mac Mini, which I was using as a front-end because, well, I had it
lying around. Before that I had a machine I built, which is where most my
computers come from, so I was looking to build another one for MythTV.

But since I wanted a small and silent machine, I just couldn't match the
price of a ready-made machine. I got an Acer Aspire Revo...
something-or-other. It's tiny and it was cheap. It has an Atom processor
and some kind of nvidia HDMI output. I too had it booting off the network
for a year or so, but recently put a cheapo 8gb SSD drive in it so now it
goes from power-on to MythTV in seconds. Again, it's several years old,
cost about USD$300 and has absolutely no problem streaming 1080p video off
the back-end server downstairs. I'd definitely look into those options.

I'd LOVE to try a Raspberry PI for a front-end, though.

-Ian