[mythtv-users] Shutdown / Idle Commands Clarification

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Mon May 14 01:39:04 UTC 2012

There are a myriad of commands related to the shutdown, idle status of
Myth Backend and Frontend, can anybody explain fully there use, expected
return values if any, and under what conditions are each run.

The reason I ask is, I am trying to make a SBE/FE (With 1 Tuner) to
shutdown when not in use.  Whilst I have it working, it is not working
as efficiently as it could.

1. Using MythWelcome, the SBE/FE will not shutdown until the entire
system is idle.  ie; All comercial flagging must be complete, and no
recordings to start on any backend in the near future.

2. Using the frontend idle settings, the SBE/FE will shutdown whilst
playing music, or immediately after watching a move or recorded program
(It thinks its idle because no key presses have been made in the defined
idle time, idle time is not reset whilst playing music or watching a
recording)

3.  If I use the Backend Sleep command, with a "smart" script that
checks if frontend is running, screen saver active, it is only called
once, when the MBE decides that the SBE is idle and ready to shutdown.
It appears that it does not accept a return value to say shutdown
failed, retry later or I have not found the correct return value.

So, if someone could explain what the intended use for the following
options, and under what conditions they are to called/executed, might
solve my problem.

*mythtv-setup*

Server Halt Command
Pre-Shutdown-Check Command