[mythtv-users] Quiet PC / Frontend recomendation

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 14 01:25:59 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 06:07:07PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Paul <paul at paulhurley.co.uk> wrote:
> >  I'm planning to build a new PC which will also function as a
> > mythtv frontend in my small office (wired ethernet) and replace an ageing HP
> > Evo D530 corporate PC.  Cost and noise is the main factors for me.  Here's
> > my current shopping list
> >
> > VTX3D VX6670 2GBK3-H AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (2GB, PCI-Express, AMD
> > App Acceleration) - £58.73
> >
> > Any other comments / suggestions ?
>
> As far as MythTV is concerned, most people on this list seem to prefer
> Nvidia based graphics cards, which support VDPAU video playback

   In my own experience, the nvidia driver is better at dealing with HDTVs.
Some TVs give out bogus EDID data that confuses other drivers. The nvidia
drivers seem to "just work".

   This is a matter of personal experience. If this is something that has
recently changed, I would be happy to hear of it.

[deletia]