[mythtv-users] What parts does the frontend do ?

Pieter De Wit pieter at insync.za.net
Sun May 13 20:48:07 UTC 2012

Hi Guys,

I see the previous post is regarding a low noise frontend. This lead me to
finally post a burning question I have had for a while:

Where can I find out what tasks are performed by the frontend ?

This might sounds stupid at first, but here is my setup I would like to
propose:

Back-end - All the storage and the DVB-S2 cards, powerfull yet hidden
away somewhere out of earshot.

Front-end - Good network connection to the back-end, good display card.
Silent and slow (?) disk - perhaps even a 16gig Flash card instead of disk

Now, when watching livetv, I assume that the ring-buffer is created as
part of the frontend ? (NFS can help with this) How much of tasks can be
offloaded to the Back-end ?

Cheers,

Pieter