[mythtv-users] Mythbackend in a virtual machine

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Sun May 13 14:58:20 UTC 2012

Hi all

I'm planning to replace my old backend with a new one.

But I have one point that I'm not sure about: Is it a good idea to put
Mytbackend into a KVM?
On the plus side it would be easier to test things and then replace the
live system.
But I don't know if there are other problems than having to update both
the host system and the virtual machine all the time.

To be honest I use xbmc as the frontend and have the database in mysql
to share it in the house. Would it be wise to separate the two mysql
databases so that xbmc can destroy the mythtv database?

A while ago I played aroung with kvm a bit and had problems passing the pci/pci-e tuner.

Do you have experiences and maybe some advice?

Best regards
Ramon