[mythtv-users] HTTP Live Stream Quality

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Sun May 13 12:02:13 UTC 2012

On Sunday, May 13, 2012, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> On 5/12/2012 22:47, Byron Poland wrote:
>
>> The bit rates are the main difference:   the Myth stream has an overall
>> bitrate of 912 kbps vs 5866 kbps with plex.
>>

> MythTV does not set the profile, causing it to default to Baseline, and
> hard codes the level to 1.3.  At that configuration, video bitrate is
> artificially constrained to 786kbps rather than the 3000kbps you
> configured, and the maximum macroblock rates are abysmal.  The iPad 3 is
> capable of High 4.1, and the Plex encoding is Main 3.1.
>
> Edit this line to a more reasonable level, recompile, and see what happens.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/**mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/**
> libmythtv/avformatwriter.cpp#**n455<http://code.mythtv.org/cgit/mythtv/tree/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/avformatwriter.cpp#n455>

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I get some free time.  (its been a while
sine i built myth from source) I assume if I change the "13" value to "31"
that would change the baseline from 1.3 to 3.1?

Is there any logic behind the 1.3 setting that is hard coded now?  Even
watching the streams in the jwplayer in the browser looks bad.  I would
think the default should be higher, or at least configurable.