[mythtv-users] Error parsing config.xml?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 11 14:11:46 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 03:50 PM, Stefan D wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Stefan D wrote:
>
>> I have a little problem that occurred when i updated today. When i try to
>> start mythbackend i get:
>>
>> 2012-05-10 21:16:03.314086 E [31899/31899] CoreContext
>> configuration.cpp:67 (Load) - Error parsing:
>> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml at line: 1  column: 1
>>
>> I do have a valid config.xml at that location, i have checked the settings
>> and verified that changes does get written to the file. Everyone have
>> permission to read the file.
>>
>> This only happens when i use my upstart script and use "--user mythtv", if
>> i start it from the console with only "mythbackend" everything works fine.
>>
>> I have probably missed something obvious, but what? I probably always had
>> this problem but it shows now when support for mysql.txt has been removed.
> My fault, there wasn't a valid config.xml at that location. Brain freeze.

Yes, there's an issue with 0.25-fixes that can result in your config.xml
getting deleted.  It's a race condition that's been there for a long
time (forever?), but that only became apparent due to some major "behind
the scenes" changes between 0.24 and 0.25.

The fix was too invasive to go into 0.25, so until 0.26 is released,
you'll just have to watch for issues when starting applications (and
might want to keep a backup copy of the config.xml for each host to make
restoring it easier).  Or, just modify your start script temporarily
(you'll definitely want to remove this for unstable/development or 0.26)
to copy the backup config.xml into place before starting
mythbackend/mythfrontend.  If config.xml is lost while mythbackend is
running and your mythpreviewgen/mythcommflag/mythtranscode jobs fail,
you can always restart those jobs after restoring the backup config.xml.

Mike