[mythtv-users] Can't see my tuner card?

zarthan zarthan at gmail.com
Fri May 11 13:02:51 UTC 2012

Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:

>I do not have another machine to try it in, but it's a new card.

Being new doesn't guarantee it's not faulty.

>I don't have another tuner card to try in that slot.

It doesn't have to be a tuner card, just any card so you can test
that the slot works.

>I don't know where to check for in in the BIOS on boot. Where should
>I be looking?

MOst systems tend to bring up a page during the boot process which
lists all the PCI devices in the system. It may only be up for a
second or two, and you may have to change a BIOS setting to show all
the details instead of a static splash screen (as many do these days).

>I need to see if I have plates to cover the other slots in my box;
>I've got the knockout kind, but if I do, I can try putting it in
>other slots.

It only needs to be temporary. You are trying to determine if it's a
problem with the card, a problem with the computer, a problem with
*that* card in *that* slot, or something else.

I would most suggest trying to find another machine to stick the card
in - even if you have to nip round to a friends house. If the card
doesn't work in another computer then that's a good sign it's the
card at fault and you can deal with replacing it.

Having said that, sometimes it can be as simple as "that card doesn't
work in that system" - for reasons we will never know. Had that at
work a week or two ago - we had a brand new video card that wouldn't
work in two PCs here but works fine for someone in his PC at home,
and a different video card works in the PC at work.
It's not called "Plug and Pray" for nothing :D

--
Simon Hob

There is possibly also slot voltage and PCI version.

Make absolutely sure the card is fully seated in the slot. Use lots of light and a magnifying glass. The camera on your phone might work as well depending on whether it can do closeups.