[mythtv-users] Don't understand Job Queue

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu May 10 20:55:23 UTC 2012

> I have been running 0.24 of mythtv-backend on my Debian stable system,
> from the precompiled packages.  In order to get a matching front end
> (Debian Unstable which has 0.25) I removed all the precompiled packages and
> compiled from source.
>
> I seem to have a working system.
>
> Something I have never understood until preparing to write this email is
> what Flag Adverts does (I am only beginning to understand).
>
> Now that I just compiled and installed the backend from scratch, I want to
> make it work
>
> In the early hours of this morning I recorded a program.  It started
> recording at 12:10AM.  Now (at 8:50PM) I am looking at the myweb display of
> the backend status, and it shows the Job Queue.  Sitting in that Queue is
> the program that I recorded, with a "Flag Adverts" tacked on to the end. If
> I mouse over the job it shows me that its status is Queued, and the Status
> Time is 1:50AM (which makes sense, since the program was 1 hour 40 minutes
> long.
>
> What causes it to move from the status queued, to something else.  Do I
> need a cron job?

No cron job needed... just need to make sure you have a window defined in
which your system can process the jobs queue.  Look through your settings
on the frontend.  I believe the default is 24hrs/day but if it's still
sitting there queued, then perhaps you changed it?

Flag Adverts does exactly what it says... it flags commercial breaks so
that you can easily (or automatically) skip commercials during playback.