[mythtv-users] UPNP in progress recordings

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 10 11:53:48 UTC 2012

On 5/10/2012 06:33, Dave Brown wrote:
> I read on the mythtv wiki that some upnp devices have problems watching
> in progress recordings from mythtv.  I think playback needs to be
> restarted often.
>
> I was going to purchase a wdtv live some time ago but when for a
> frontend however, I could do with just getting a cheap upnp client for
> another room.

MythTV streams content as a single file, and consequently, must give the
player a file size.  Once the player reaches the end of that size,
playback will stop, and most, if not all, UPnP players will dump you
back to their menu.  This behavior will persist until MythTV switches to
a playlist method, where it gives the UPnP player an unbounded sequence
of chunks it can access, in very similar fashion to how the new HLS code
operates.