[mythtv-users] Why is my cron job not backing up my database?

Igor Cicimov icicimov at gmail.com
Thu May 10 04:47:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 9, 2012, at 8:48 PM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:

> >> But isn't your cron job running as root? If so, there
> >> should be a similar entry in ~root/.mythtv.
> >>
> >> At least that would explain why cron fails and command line works.
> >>

> This is my mythtv cron job.  What I pasted in my first email was from
> running crontab -e as the mythtv user.
>
> > And/or you need to specify a value for HOME to point to /home/mythtv
> >
> > (without a valid HOME, nearly all things MythTV will fail--including
> optimize_mythdb.pl and mythconverg_backup.pl)
> >

> I am not sure I understand what this means. And does it change anything
> that the cron job is running as mythtv?

It's a shell thing. So have in mind that when you run the cronjob it runs
without shell so it doesn't inherit your environment settings which
explains why it is successful from the shell command line and fails from
cron.

You need to source your /home/mythtv/.mythtv/backuprc file first. So try
putting the cron like this:

30 3 * * * . /home/mythtv/.mythtv/backuprc && /usr/bin/mythconverg_backup.pl
               ^
(yes, that's a dot then a space then the rest of the line here)

Igor