[mythtv-users] .25 - "Maximum buffer size exceeded"

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu May 10 01:09:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that I had the mysterious "yellow dots" beside some of my
> recordings this evening.  At second glance, I realized that the two
> shows I was recording at 9PM had two files.  Not good.  One of the
> shows was split into two halves, approximately 30 minutes each.  The
> other though, had only about 11 minutes in it's first half.
>
> I looked at the log, and found this:
>

> 2012-03-29 21:12:30.800845 E [7151/23462] HDHRStreamHandler
> ThreadedFileWriter.cpp:216 (Write) -
> TFW(/mnt/recordings2/1461_20120329210000.mpg:99): Maximum buffer size
> exceeded.
>                        file will be truncated, no further writing will be done.
>                        This generally indicates your disk performance
>                        is insufficient to deal with the number of on-going
>                        recordings, or you have a disk failure.

I also just got this same error now. I've got plenty of free space on
the recording drive (29GB, which is about where it always stays). I
can't find any info about any errors in dmesg or any of the logs.
smartctl is indicating no errors on any of the drives. I can't find
any sign of anything actually being wrong. There were only 2 shows
recording, and I routinely have 4 without issue.

Also, I experienced the same issue as Monkey Pet. After it failed,
myth continued to report that it was recording in the watch recordings
screen. The reported file size continued to increase, and when playing
it, myth continued to report the show growing longer. Now that the
recording is over, myth is reporting the entire 67 minutes, even
though it stopped after 29 minutes.

I'm running 0.25 fixes from Sunday morning.

So what could be causing this when I see absolutely no signs of any
issues other than myth claiming there were issues?

--
Ron Frazier