[mythtv-users] Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU?

Roger H mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 19:37:21 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If your heatsink is hot, that is a good sign the bond between it and the
> GPU
> > is okay.  I would worry about extracting the hot air from your case. If
> you
> > could reinstall the cover and check your airflow, that would be good.
> >  Depending on the age of your case, you might have an optional fan
> opening
> > on the cover itself (near the GPU).  Installing a slow-moving (quiet)
> 120mm
> > fan would be ideal.
> >
> > Leaving the cover off, as others have mentioned, is not a good thing
> since
> > it reduces the effectiveness of your case fans tremendously.
> >

> Thanks.  I will look into this.  I actually removed the cover because
> of the overheating issue.  I would love to put the cover back on
> because it will likely reduce noise.
>
> The mythbox is in a wooden cabinet.  There is sufficient space around
> the box but in one of the other cubby holes, there is a stereo
> receiver that gets very hot.  I think I have also had a cable box
> overheat ion that cabinet when it was in the cubby above the stereo.
> I will try to give more details on the case see if there is a spot I
> can put a case fan on the lid.

That may be your problem.  Is the cabinet open at the back?  If not, cut a
hole in line with the case fan(s) to let them blow air out of thecabinet.
PCs are not inteded to be kept in an enclosed space, especially at
the back.  All that heat needs to go somewhere and not get recycled back
into the case.