[mythtv-users] USA OTA - interlaced?

Boleslaw Ciesielski bc-mythtv at comcast.net
Wed May 9 19:11:58 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-09 14:48, Matt Garman wrote:
> Is there a way to tell if a given recording is interlaced or not?
> FWIW, I'm in Chicago, IL, USA.  We record the national networks,
> primarily FOX ("WFLD 32").
>
> I ask for the following reason: a while ago, I started experimenting
> with using Intel (Sandy Bridge) graphics, so I could lose my
> power-hungry Nvidia card.  During initial testing, I disabled
> de-interlacing in my playback profile.  And to this day, I still don't
> have any interlacing enabled, because everything plays back
> beautifully.
>
> So either I am recording progressive content, or my TV (Panasonic
> TC-P65V10) is doing the deinterlacing for me.

Most of the OTA HD content in the US is interlaced (1080i), with the
notable exception of FOX :-)

Some TVs are able to recognize interlaced content even though you're
supplying them with a non-interlaced video signal (e.g. 1920x1080 at
60Hz). The quality of the TV built-in de-interlacing may be worse (or
better) than VDPAU (which is very good with the advanced methods).

Bolek