[mythtv-users] Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:16:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Brian Long <briandlong at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> If your heatsink is hot, that is a good sign the bond between it and the GPU
> is okay.  I would worry about extracting the hot air from your case. If you
> could reinstall the cover and check your airflow, that would be good.
>  Depending on the age of your case, you might have an optional fan opening
> on the cover itself (near the GPU).  Installing a slow-moving (quiet) 120mm
> fan would be ideal.
>
> Leaving the cover off, as others have mentioned, is not a good thing since
> it reduces the effectiveness of your case fans tremendously.

Thanks.  I will look into this.  I actually removed the cover because
of the overheating issue.  I would love to put the cover back on
because it will likely reduce noise.

The mythbox is in a wooden cabinet.  There is sufficient space around
the box but in one of the other cubby holes, there is a stereo
receiver that gets very hot.  I think I have also had a cable box
overheat ion that cabinet when it was in the cubby above the stereo.
I will try to give more details on the case see if there is a spot I
can put a case fan on the lid.