[mythtv-users] How to configure channels available on STB

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:27:36 UTC 2012

On 7 May 2012 10:00, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm using 0.24-fixes.
>
> I'm trying to configure channels that are available on a set-top box
> whose S-video output I've connected to a Hauppauge HVR-1900 tuner. I've
> created the capture card as usual(*), connected it to a newly-created
> Video Source, went into Input Connections and tried creating the channel
> lineup.
>
> I did specify a channel changing script.
>
> Behind the Scan button I only seem to be able to do either a Full Scan
> or Import Existing Scan. If I select the latter a drop-down box appears
> underneath that is empty and into which I can't type anything. I do have
> a channels.conf file in the home directory of the user that is running
> mythtv-setup.
>
> If I do a Full Scan I just end up with a load of unusable channels.
>
> I've tried using the channel editor but I really hope that I don't have
> to use it to create the 150+ channels.

That is the way to do it :(

> How is this supposed to work? How does the concept of 'scanning' apply
> to a set-top box?

It doesn't. If the STB is sending out a composite/S-Video baseband
video signal, scanning is impossible. In this situation, one needs to
manually create (or script) addition of channels to the video source.

I've been working on a utility for UK Sky/Virgin users so that
STB-based video sources can be added/reconfigured simply to try and
alleviate some of the pain associated with this.

> *: In fact: I didn't have to create the capture card since it already
> existed. I've used it successfully as a tuner connected to analogue
> cable. On the Input Connections screen I've disconnected its Television
> interface from the analogue Video Source and connected its S-Video
> interface to the digital Video Source.

If a card has multiple inputs which cannot be used independently of
each other, you need to add these inputs to an input group when
configuring the card/inputs in mythtv-setup. This will stop the tuner
from trying to schedule recordings on mutually-exclusive inputs.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott