[mythtv-users] Why is OpenGL video renderer overheating my GPU?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue May 8 20:38:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have long ago given up on being able to use VDPAU with this card as
>> it causes the temperature to raise above 100 C and the system shuts
>> down soon after.  The temperature of my motherboard and my CPU are
>> within reasonable range when this happens.
>
> I also have a system with a GT220 that was shutting down sometimes
> when under load.  I don't think the problem was thermal, it seemed to
> be power.  After replacing the power supply with a better unit, the
> problem went away.  (Same motherboard, video card, and software.)
>
> I'm not saying this is necessarily your issue, but it's something to
> consider.  If your card is drawing more power than your supply can
> provide, thermal paste might get your temperature down, but it's not
> going to help with your shutdown problems.

Well it shuts down consistently when the temp reaches around 105 C.
Would a weak power supply cause it to get that hot?  And isn't 68 C at
essentially idle a pretty high temperature?

Also, I think it is an Antec 450 or 500 W 80+ type power supply that I
paid a decent amount for.  So I assume the power supply.

But thanks for the suggestion.  I will maybe test a different supply
to see if that solves it if the thermal paste doesn't.