[mythtv-users] possible to make mythtv switch tuner in order to accomplish a channel switch?

Roger Rofes i Antonin roger73 at correu.mesvilaweb.cat
Tue May 8 11:32:40 UTC 2012

Hello,
I installed mythbuntu 11.10 and set up mythtv. I have a dual tuner card:
terratec cinergy t pcie dual. It was hard getting it to work properly, but
now it is done,
My question is about switching channels while seeing live TV. I have
observed that mythtv does not accomplish an automatic change of tuner in
order to execute a change of channel requested by user. Will explain with
an example:
- Tuner 1 is busy recording. I am watching this same recorded channel, in a
live TV session.
- if I try to switch to a channel in the same multiplex, no problem, the
tuner must not be "touched" and channel change is accomplished. I am still
watching something that comes from tuner 1.
- But if I try to change to a channel in a different multiplex the order is
not executed by mythtv, even if the second tuner is not in use. To switch
channel I have to first switch tuner (there is a live TV menu option to do
so) and after, once in the second tuner, switch to the channel I want.

I have activated the option "use for live tv the less probable tuner to be
in use by a recording" or something like that. I think that the only thing
that makes this option is to use by default the "2nd tuner" when you start
a live tv session, while the recordings usually use "1st tuner". Anyway,
not sure. Someone able to confirm/correct? Anyway, I think this option does
not prevent the situation that I explained before, only makes it less
probable.

All in all, it seems to me a weird behaviour more related to hardware
concepts than to usability. If there is no option I will live with it, but
I am wondering how I am going to explain to my family what a multiplex is
and why it is so hard to switch channels...

So my final question is: can I configure it in a way that mythtv switches
the tuner automatically to accomplish a change of channel ordered by user?

Roger