[mythtv-users] HD Homerun virtual tuners and cableco QAM channel remapping

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:11:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...  Perhaps it would be a good idea
> > to make mention of input groups with
> > virtual tuners in the documentation,
> > but I'm unsure myself where the best
> >  place for this would be (or I would do
> > it myself).  Or if it is already, and I've
> > missed it, feel free to ignore
> > this suggestion.
>
> The business logic of the MythTV database
> is not exclusively in the database, and as
> such, I do not know there is any better
> recommendation other than "there be dragons
> there" along with the ever present "No user
> serviceable parts inside, do not open".  Any
> such documentation as to how not to break
> the database for particular point fixes would
> imply that editing the database is a possible
> option (and then you get more breakage as
> others try to edit the database)(*).

I think you missed my point, but I can see why you might have, considering
I was talking about poking around the database again.  I only uncovered my
real problem because I noticed a table in the database, specifically the
one for input groups.

I just remotely logged into my master backend and ran mythtv-setup so I can
be precise.  For example, on the second screen of the input connections for
my first HDHR QAM tuner, I have input group 1 defined as
"HDHOMERUN_10328892-0".  It never occurred to me that defining virtual
tuners would cause an input group to be defined in mythtv-setup (only
obvious in hindsight).  So reviewing my setup configuration, I would not
have noticed that there was no input group defined, which I believe was the
source of my problem.  How it got deleted I cannot say, but certainly was
my doing in some way.

I'm merely suggesting that whatever appropriate place in the
setup/documentation that covers virtual tuners, it could be mentioned that
an input group will be automatically created to handle it's functionality,
and perhaps also a warning that it should not be monkeyed with.  But the
catch is, there isn't really any setup explanation of virtual tuners at all
that I could find, which is why I'm not simply adding something to the
documentation myself.  None of the links on the 'mythtv-setup' wiki page at
present include that level of detail.  I hope this doesn't sound like a
"feature request without a patch."  I'm just bringing attention to
something that caused me problems, hoping others may learn from it.  (First
2 things I always do when I have an issue is search the wiki and the
gossamer mailing list archive.)  It seems to me a user could break things,
without ever hacking the database, if they somehow wrongly messed with the
input group settings in mythtv-setup.