[mythtv-users] Fix for Firewire Warning: No Input in xxx msec

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Mon May 7 15:40:41 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I have posted the patch for mythtv 0.25 for the firewire problem of
> never ending "No Input in 50 msec . . .", "No Input in 100 msec . . ."
> errors.
>
> Here is the ticket
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10277
>
> There are patches for mythtv 0.24 and 0.25. Hopefully the 0.25 patch
> will eventually be included in the main distribution, but in the
> meantime it is attached to the ticket if anybody needs it.

I'd like to take the opportunity of this message to express my appreciation
for you working to maintain firewire capability.  I realize most of the
core developers view this functionality as withering on the vine now that
Cablecard devices are becoming mainstream.  Given the finite nature of
their time, I understand that.  However, I own/use both a HDHomerun Prime
and a Motorola DCT-32xx STB (Comcast) and would like to keep using both
going forward.  So I'm one voice on this front, not sure how many others
like me are out there.  The STB is connected to the master FE/BE combo in
the basement, connected to the big screen in my house.  Primarily the box
is used directly for watching TV (not through myth), but I have used it
occassionally to watch Myth LiveTV and not take up a Prime tuner.
Ultimately I hope to be able to use it as a tuner source to do PiP/PoP,
either within Myth or using the TV's capability, if things ever become more
stable with LiveTV--still on 0.24-fixes, following issues with 0.25, but
following a standard upgrade path isn't an option until Gentoo ebuilds for
0.25 are ready for prime time.  (Doing PiP within Myth has advantages in
dealing with sound switching that overcome limitations of using TV
function.)  I mainly use this to watch simultaneous sporting events.  Right
now I'm avoiding using LiveTV on this master backend, because I've had
stability issues in the past and don't want to take down everything and
lose other recordings in progress.  (On older hardware, since replaced, the
machine would spontaneously turn of without warning within a few minutes of
watching LiveTV only, not recordings in progress, never understood that but
suspected a hardware/power supply issue--did not spend much time debugging
because of WAF and concern for my file system integrity.)  Hence my
following LiveTV issues (including developer chatter on IRC).

If the patches do no harm, I hope the developers will accept them into
0.25, so I don't have to custom-craft things with my ebuilds (though I
obviously could if it came down to that).