[mythtv-users] how ofter do you update?

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon May 7 12:42:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi all.
> Just curious as to how often everyone updates?  Right now, everything is
> working well so I see no need to update anything.  But I am concerned about
> security.  My systems are behind a modem with the firewall enabled, and a
> router that also has a fire wall.  Besides that, its linux.  So do you
> update regularly or what?

The OS?  Never.  I treat it like an appliance that once it works I never
touch until I have to.  So if a Myth upgrade requires newer versions of
packages, I upgrade those as needed, etc.   Saves a lot of headache when
things break because you upgraded the OS and all it's packages only to find
it breaks something.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I_upgraded_X.2C_Y.2C_and_Z_and_now_everything_is_broken._Help.21

Kevin