[mythtv-users] Shows being titled as "Season" in mythvideo

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Mon May 7 04:44:50 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 5/4/2012 7:20 AM, Martin Moores wrote:
> On 4 May 2012 04:25, Nicolas Riendeau <knight at teksavvy.com
> <mailto:knight at teksavvy.com>> wrote:
>
>     It's quite possible that we could use the same trick that was used
>     for RatingToPL and let translators provide more than one word that
>     for "Season".

oops, that "that" didn't belong there...

> I think that would be useful

OK

>     Is "Series" always equivalent to "Season" in British English?
>

> I don't see any circumstance where the words are not interchangeable as
> far as myth goes.  As Gary said, Series generally refers to the whole
> show, including all of it's Seasons

I was somewhat surprised to see that the term "Series" is sometimes (but
not always) used for British TV series sold outside the UK (Doctor Who
(not in the US but in Canada), All creatures great and small, Red Dwarf
(in Canada), etc...) so it looks like the issue should be fixed there as
well...

>     PS: I'm sending a copy of this email to the British English translator.
>
> Thanks, appreciated.

No problem...

> Now we know what the issue is, it is easy enough to do some re-naming.
> Others may get caught out though in the UK, so adding Season and Series
> in the translation may avert any problems.  But admittedly I have no
> idea how hard or how much or a "bodge" doing that is.

For 0.25-fixes in order to avoid breaking the season matching for every
translation I would do a small temporary fix and put the real fix in
master (development code).

I don't currently have any videos so I had to fake some but I tested a
small fix which seems to work relatively well. Would you be willing to
test it before it is applied to (most likely) the British English, the
Canadian English and possibly the US English translation?

Have a nice day!

Nicolas