[mythtv-users] any way to sort videos by alternate value

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun May 6 22:36:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> No alternative suggestions for a different sorting order,
> but out of curiousity, how should one handle the case
> of movie "reboots"

I don't know. I suppose that's highly personal, and for a given
individual may even vary from series to series to series. One person
might like to see them strictly in the order they were released.
Another might divide them by "version number" and order them
sequentially within a version, while others still might order them

So give the following sequence of movies
Original
Sequel
Reboot
Reboot sequel
Reboot prequel

One person my order them 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Another person may order them 1, 2, 5, 3, 4

It can probably get even more complicated then that. For instance,
take the Terminator movies. Part 3 wasn't all that well received. For
part 4 (Salvation), if I remember correctly, the writer's official
stance is that it was written as if part 3 never existed (so it's
really the sequel to part 2). Or maybe I'm mixed up and it was the TV
series that disregarded part 3. In either case, I'm sure you can at
least envision something like that.

So in summary, I don't think there's any one proper way to do this
that could satisfy everyone. The way I was thinking would be generic
enough that you could do whatever you want with them.

--
Ron Frazier