[mythtv-users] any way to sort videos by alternate value

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun May 6 13:44:54 UTC 2012

I was wondering if there was any way to sort videos by some value
other than the title. I was thinking this would be useful for a few
circumstances. Normally, when movies are titled with numbers (1, 2, 3,
or part 1, part 2, part 3) they will sort just fine. However, once you
get to 10 parts, they will start sorting wrong (1, 10, 2, 3). You can
hack around this by using 2 digit numbers (01, 02 ... 10) but that's
ugly IMHO. Furthermore, if the movie uses names instead of numbers
(such as Lord of the Rings), the parts don't sort into the proper
order at all.

So is there any way to deal with this currently in myth? I don't see
one. I've done that sort of thing in other apps I've written, and I
handled it by adding another value for "sort_title". So while the
movie is named "Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King", the sort
title would be "Lord of the Rings 3".

Is anyone else interested in this (or is anyone already working on
such a feature)? I could take a shot at implementing it sometime. Does
the above method sound like a good way, or does someone else have a
better suggestion?

--
Ron Frazier