[mythtv-users] Is mythfrontend's AirPlay support supposed to be audio-only or audio-and-video?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri May 4 22:29:34 UTC 2012

On 5 May 2012 07:43, Scott Alfter <scott-sender-2f809c at alfter.us> wrote:
> I'm only getting one device for the frontend, with a speaker icon next to
> it...an indicator of an audio-only device?

Note that in master I have fixed most issues people would have been
experiencing with AirPlay.
The main one being that the device is seen in iOS/iTunes but nothing
happens when you try to play.

I intend to backport all those changes to fixes/0.25 as it makes
AirPlay almost fully complete when it comes to video and audio
playback.

There is a change of behaviour too, in that the airplay device appears
like an AppleTV does:
in music you see one speaker device
and in video, you see one audio/video device

You won't see two devices anymore one doing nothing in iOS Music, and
in Video app: one doing just audio and one doing audio+video.

I might add the ability to control that behaviour later if people feel
like they want audio only output in video playback (so the video plays
locally on the iPhone/iPad and the audio plays on myth frontend)

> Is it MYTH_AIRPLAY or MYTHTV_AIRPLAY?  I have MYTHTV_AIRPLAY exported in
> /etc/local.d/mythfrontend.start (a script called by /etc/init.d/local that
> starts X, which then starts ratpoison, which then starts mythfrontend).
> mythtv/programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp includes a call to getenv() that looks
> for MYTHTV_AIRPLAY.
>
> I could try setting it again in .ratpoisonrc, right before mythfrontend is
> exec'd...maybe that will make a difference.

AirPlay is made of two services, RAOP (used to be called AirTunes) and AirPlay.
RAOP does audio only, and requires the presence of the RAOP rsa key in ~/mythtv.
AirPlay is a audio/video service, and doesn't require anything else
but the MYTHTV_AIRPLAY environment variable to be set

An Airport Express advertise the RAOP service
An Apple TV advertises both RAOP and AirPlay, but shows them as one device only.

JY