[mythtv-users] Myth 0.21 expiring ALL shows too soon with TONS of disk space available

Roger H mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:22:47 UTC 2012

 On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

>  On 05/03/2012 10:04 PM, John Morris wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 20:44 -0400, Roger Horner wrote:
>>
>> I may be missing something, but wouldn't another solution be to upgrade
>>> to a 64-bit version of Linux on the backend(s)?
>>>
>> Hmm, is there any major benefit to 64bit on a Myth system?
>>
>> I originally installed Myth on an little 'ol beater slimline box I put
>> together in '03 that was PIII based so obviously it got a 32bit OS.
>> When I upgraded the hardware last year in preparation for going HD I
>> just moved the hard drive over and updated Debian to 6.0.  Is there
>> enough benefit to justify a wipe and reload?  The new hardware only has
>> 2GB RAM so that isn't a limit.
>>

> That suggestion was specifically for the OP in this thread--as a
> workaround for the bug that exists in 0.21 that's affecting him.  So, for
> him, the big benefit would be that it would prevent the bug he's seeing
> from happening.

The othere advantage (which the OP wasn't suffering from) is the issue of
the 32-bit kernal not reserving enough of the Virtual Addressing Space for
device drivers (by default) when you have large amounts of RAM (typically
more than 768MB).  This is common when combining certain capture cards
and the NVIDIA propriotary driver.  This can be fixed by telling the kernal
to reserve more virtual memory (reducing the amount of RAM the kernel can
address directly), but the problem goes away completley with the 64-bit
kernal.

The way I see it, if you have a choice, use a 64-bit kernal, as there is
very rarely any harm in doing so.  Is it worth the upgrade, probably not
unless it is the easiest solution to your problems.