[mythtv-users] Myth 0.21 expiring ALL shows too soon with TONS of disk space available

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 4 18:55:45 UTC 2012

On 05/04/2012 01:22 PM, John Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 22:07 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> That suggestion was specifically for the OP in this thread--as a
>> workaround for the bug that exists in 0.21 that's affecting him.  So,
>> for him, the big benefit would be that it would prevent the bug he's
>> seeing from happening.
> Ok, just making sure.  Couldn't really think of a reason it would make a
> difference.  And reinstalling to fix work around a minor bug sounded
> like a pretty big hammer unless there were other benefits; in other
> words unless the right attitude was that it was zany to still be running
> 32bit anyway so why not just take it as a sign to get with the program.

I'd actually say it's zany to be running MythTV 0.21 before I would say
it's zany to be running 32-bit.  :)

With MythTV 0.21, you're on your own--it's not going to get any bug
fixes and others won't be doing testing/debugging work on it.  At least
32-bit GNU/Linux is still generally "supported"--or at least relatively
commonly used (even if not so much on x86).

So, IMHO, anyone using 0.21 or below should spend the time necessary to
fix the system so it can run modern MythTV--not doing so only means
doing so later.  And the more time that passes between when "most
people" upgrade and when any given user does, the less people will
remember about upgrade issues and how to fix them--not to mention the
fact that our old database upgrade code is known to have issues with
modern Qt and MySQL due to changes to their upstream code and the way
current Qt/MySQL works in comparison to how they worked in the versions
where the code was written/maintained, which is a big part of the reason
that we dropped support for upgrading from 0.21 fixes or below database
schema versions in 0.25.

That said, I realize time and other constraints may be a factor in the
upgrade decision.  However, I just wanted to make it clear--just like
GNU has said people shouldn't expect to be able to take random versions
of GNU applications and put them together to make a working
system--people shouldn't expect to be able to take a many, many years
old MythTV system and upgrade to current without problems (at least not
if expecting to keep their data).  If nothing else (ignoring changes to
things like MySQL and Qt that can cause breakage or corruption of the
data), you're just stacking all of the issues you would have had for all
of the interim upgrades all together, making a much more complicated
mess to untangle.

Mike