[mythtv-users] Is mythfrontend's AirPlay support supposed to be audio-only or audio-and-video?

Scott Alfter scott-sender-2f809c at alfter.us
Fri May 4 16:19:09 UTC 2012

I upgraded from 0.24-fixes to 0.25-fixes a couple of days ago...so far, so
good.  I found the bit about stashing an RSA key in a file under ~/.mythtv,
and the bit about making sure MYTHTV_AIRPLAY is in the frontend's environment.

So far, I've tried sending audio and video from my iPhone 4. I also have an
iPad available for testing, but haven't tried sending from it. (Both devices
are jailbroken and running iOS 5.0.1.) When it's on WiFi at home, the output
selector shows up and allows selecting the frontend as an output device.
Audio works great, but video isn't getting sent.  I've tried a YouTube video
(with the YouTube app), a video podcast (with the Videos app), and streaming
video from a webpage (with iCab).

Others have reported getting video working.  I'm running Git revision
2a2af9f7f7b66c13b7cb4e65149acbf6088f4cbf from the 0.25-fixes branch, built on
AMD64 Gentoo with the mt-mythtv Git ebuilds.  emerge -pv mythtv produces this
output, showing which USE flags are active:

[ebuild   R   ~] media-tv/mythtv-9999::MythTV-0-25-fixes  USE="alsa avahi dvb
dvd fftw ieee1394 ivtv lame lcd mmx nls opengl python tiff vdpau vorbis x264
xv xvid (-altivec) -autostart -bluray -ceton -crystalhd -dbox2 -debug -directv
-hdhomerun -hdpvr -iptv -jack -joystick -latm -lirc -oss -perl -proc-opt
-profile -pulseaudio -vaapi" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -i810 -via" 0 kB

AFAIK, avahi is the only thing that should be needed to support AirPlay, and
it's enabled.  (x264 is most likely needed as well, but that's long been
enabled for other purposes.)

Would switching from 0.25-fixes to master make any difference?  What other
troubleshooting can I do to see what (if anything) is going wrong?

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us