[mythtv-users] how ofter do you update?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri May 4 07:02:53 UTC 2012

Kevin Johnson wrote:

>Just curious as to how often everyone updates?

Not very often - it isn't broken so I'm inclined to leave it that way.

What I will do (but didn't have the hardware for in the past) when I
want to do anything but OS (Debian) updates is clone the current
backend system to my old PC and upgrade that. I've setup my frontend
with spare partitions so I can install a second instance on that (or
rather clone the first). So I can upgrade clones of both backend and
frontend and test them.
If that goes well, I can upgrade the real backend and switch to using
the new frontend.
For OS updates, I just make sure I have a current backup I can roll
back to if needed.

But at least it's only me to get annoyed if I "break TV"

--
Simon Hobson