[mythtv-users] Shows being titled as "Season" in mythvideo

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Fri May 4 03:25:42 UTC 2012

Hi!

On 5/3/2012 8:05 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/03/2012 06:46 PM, Martin Moores wrote:
>> On 3 May 2012 19:41, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Or your locale settings are incorrect or using some word for "Season"
>>> that's not "Season"--like maybe your locale's translation files say
>>> to use
>>> "Series".

The term "Season" was indeed translated into "Series" by the English GB
translator.

>> Mike, you might be onto something there.
>>
>> I just renamed one of the "Seasons" to "Series" and it added the data
>> correctly, as expected.
>>
>> But, I am still confused as to why it used to work, with no apparent
>> change
>> to make it stop recognising "Season" as a correct term.

I could be wrong but I think the code that handles that changed between
0.24 and 0.25...

>> I checked the settings in the frontend, everything is set to English
>> UK, as
>> I think it always has been. Could OS language settings effect this also?
>> Will take a look at that over the weekend, but again, doubt I have messed
>> with anything there.
>>
>> Anyway, thank you, I have an easier way forward now, re-naming folders to
>> Series isn't a major problem.
>>
>> I'll try changing to US settings, I guess Season is more a US term?

That would most likely work and so would using English CA (Canadian
English sometimes follows the British rules and sometimes the American
ones...). Season -> Season in both...

> Perhaps 0.24 and below didn't use the translated version of "Season" and
> "Episode" or maybe the UK translation team just added the translation
> for 0.25 or ???

Some of this code was most likely changed when (or after) MythVideo was
merged into core so its difficult to say.

Translators normally expect the strings they translate to be used for
display only and not for parsing so a "translator comment" (and/or a
disambiguation string if the context it is in stays QObject) should have
been placed/used there to let them know this is used for parsing and not
(only) for display. It's difficult to say whether "Season" would have
been translated into "Series" by the translator but at least he would
have been aware of the impact of doing it which he wasn't when he
translated this string.

It's quite possible that we could use the same trick that was used for
RatingToPL and let translators provide more than one word that for
"Season".

Is "Series" always equivalent to "Season" in British English?

Have a nice day!

Nick

PS: I'm sending a copy of this email to the British English translator.