[mythtv-users] Safe way to downgrade from 0.25 back to 0.24?

Roger Horner mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 00:59:59 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-03, at 7:10 PM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>> Specifically importing new recordings into the Video Library (formerly
>> MythVideo).

>>> sigh.... time-consuming..... it is a hard decision.... eventually,
>>> I'll go back to 0.25, so... invested several hours downgrading from
>>> 0.24 looks like a bad idea :( , maybe I'll just live with my pvr150,
>>> and wasting lots of disk space, until I get some more free time to fix
>>> things on 0.25.
>>>
>>> On the other issue: is there anybody else having issues with
>>> transcoding? (maybe I should open a new thread for that, right?).
>>

>> FWIW, disk space is pretty cheap (even with the price increase after the
>> Thai flooding).  A 1TB HDD could store a /ton/ of 2GB/hr MPEG-2 SDTV
>> recordings from an ivtv device.  And, FWIW, the transcoding supported by
>> mythtranscode--to MPEG-4 ASP in an NUV container, and not H.264 in any
>> "useful" container--doesn't really provide useful space savings, meaning
>> you're better off keeping the video in the original MPEG-2 format.  You'd
>> only want to transcode your ivtv recordings if you have a constrained device
>> that doesn't support MPEG-2--and even then, you'd want to use something
>> other than mythtranscode since that device won't support NUV container.
>
> For the about same quality, mpeg4 will require half the disk space.

Only if you use H.264, which mythtranscode doesn't support. Mythtranscode's mpeg4 files are about the same size as mpeg2 files.  You will have to use ffmpg or handbrake to generate h.264.

> Only downside here (and now) is that after the transcode mpeg4 file
> looks ugly (but that's not supposed to be like that)...

Agreed. I have used mythtranscode on both 0.24 and 0.23 and it looks bad on both when the source is interlaced (horrible combing) unless you do a lossless encode (about all it is good for).

Roger
--
Sent from my iPod