[mythtv-users] Storage group weighting

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 3 18:39:01 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 12:45 PM, eric millham wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 5/3/2012 08:17, eric millham wrote:
>>> I use this wiki:http://www.mythtv.org/**wiki/Storage_Groups_Weighting<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups_Weighting>
>>>
>>> to attempt to force myth to always record to one storage group.
>>> My other group is slower so I just want to use it for playback of older
>>> files once commflag is done.
>> Why not have two separate storage groups, record to one, and have a script
>> balance out the storage between them offline?
> Raymond, that's exactly what I was planning to do.
> Use my Drobo storage for long term storage&  playback, my raid-1 2 drive
> internal array for recording/commskip, and a script to copy stuff older
> than 2 days from internal to Drobo.
> Basically the internal array is a cache. Maybe one day I would even use SSD
> here.
> As the Drobo has approached 60% used it's becoming taxed with recording 3
> HD, comm skip 2 and playback one at same time.
>
> So, how do I do that? I did not see a place to have a storage group for
> recording storage but not record to it...
>
> I did run the backend with the suggested log flags and it didn't tell me
> why it was not using the other storage group.

Based on your original post, I think the reason you don't understand
Raymond's approach is because you (like most users) don't understand
what you mean when you say, "Storage Group."

A Storage Group is just a name you choose for a bunch of directories.

A directory is a location on a file system.  (Most users seem to think
that a directory is a "Storage Group"--that's a directory entry within a
Storage Group, which is allowed to contain as many directory paths as
you want.)

You set up your Storage Groups as:

SG Name: Default
Directories within SG:
     /path/to/record/to
     /path/to/record/also

Then, you create a Storage Group:

SG Name: Archive
Directories within SG:
     /drobo/storage/directory
     /drobo/storage/directory2

etc.  Then create recording rules to record to Default Storage Group and
do not ever specify Archive Storage Group in any recording rule.  That
way, all record is done to the directories specified in Default Storage
Group, and no recording is done to directories specified in Archive
Storage Group.

Then, when you want to archive, just simply move the file out of one of
the Default Storage Group directories and into any of the Archive
Storage Group directories--and all will work fine.  There's no need to
tell MythTV that you moved it.  It just works.

(The only constraint is that the host that recorded the video must be
able to access it in the new directory--whether the new directory is a
local directory or mounted via NFS/CIFS.)

Mike