[mythtv-users] Safe way to downgrade from 0.25 back to 0.24?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 3 18:28:59 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 10:40 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
>>> So.... what is involved on downgrading from 0.25 to 0.24? (without
>>> losing recent recordings, of course).
>> You would need to restore the backup you made before upgrading and
>> then import any new recordings manually.

Specifically importing new recordings into the Video Library (formerly
MythVideo).

>>     That's the only supported
>> method.
> sigh.... time-consuming..... it is a hard decision.... eventually,
> I'll go back to 0.25, so... invested several hours downgrading from
> 0.24 looks like a bad idea :( , maybe I'll just live with my pvr150,
> and wasting lots of disk space, until I get some more free time to fix
> things on 0.25.
>
> On the other issue: is there anybody else having issues with
> transcoding? (maybe I should open a new thread for that, right?).

FWIW, disk space is pretty cheap (even with the price increase after the
Thai flooding).  A 1TB HDD could store a /ton/ of 2GB/hr MPEG-2 SDTV
recordings from an ivtv device.  And, FWIW, the transcoding supported by
mythtranscode--to MPEG-4 ASP in an NUV container, and not H.264 in any
"useful" container--doesn't really provide useful space savings, meaning
you're better off keeping the video in the original MPEG-2 format.
You'd only want to transcode your ivtv recordings if you have a
constrained device that doesn't support MPEG-2--and even then, you'd
want to use something other than mythtranscode since that device won't
support NUV container.

Mike