[mythtv-users] MythMusic Revamp Ideas

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Thu May 3 15:49:08 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM, Jim Oltman <jim.oltman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I didn't mean a cursor being controlled by a remote.  That would be a
> HUGE
> > headache and a major step backwards in functionality.
>
> It works quite well if you have the right hardware.
>
> >  I was thinking more
> > along the lines of the remote D-Pad controlling a "box" on the screen.
>  You
> > hit up, the box moves up to the selection above it's current position.  I
> > was thinking that the cursor would not be on the screen at all.
>
> Then I don't really see how (other than the eye candy) this is
> fundamentally different than what we already have today.
>
> Eric

It just looked to me that the entire organization of items on the screen
was much better than what we had in 0.24.  I could never read the entire
Artist/Title of the track I was listening to as it never scrolled to show
me the whole line.  This was partially due to the layout of the MythMusic
screen being in a column fashion.  To go back to a different playlist, I'd
have to hit the left arrow, and the on-screen selection bar would move to
the left.  I still couldn't see the entire name of the playlist I wanted
(again, because the playlist name didn't scroll), and (if I recall
correctly) there was still a partial list of the tracks on the right side
of the screen.  Even an option to have the name of the track move into
another line would have been a huge improvement.

If these fields were sorted vertically, and the on-screen
play/pause/rewind/etc keys were eliminated, then the list of available
songs would be bigger, and you could see more of the artist/title of the
music.  If you were in the list of music, you could hit the back button to
move the selection bar up to the "menu" options above.  Back one more time
gets you out of music all together.  If you really wanted to have the
play/pause/rewind/etc keys on screen, you could have them appear as large
icons in the center of the screen (eye candy like in the video) when you
pressed the corresponding key on the remote.  So pause would stay on screen
until you pressed play.  Then the PLAY icon would fade out over a few
hundred milliseconds.  Same for rewind/FF/next/etc.  If you wanted
Shuffle/Repeat, then either have them be number keys (as it is now) or have
them be in the MENU key on the remote.

Maybe I'm incorrect and this is more a theme issue?