[mythtv-users] Safe way to downgrade from 0.25 back to 0.24?

Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa ildefonso.camargo at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:35:52 UTC 2012

Greetings,

I'd like to go back to 0.24, why?:

1. Since I updated to 0.25, my USB capture card stopped working
(WinTV-HVR-950Q / 2040:7200 from lsusb), I used to use it in analog
mode, it doesn't work anymore, and furthermore, my system gets
unstable after I try to enable it on mythtv (however, it works just
fine with tvtime, as long as it is not configured on mythtv)... when I
try to configure it on mythtv it first makes backend process "hang",
and I'm unable to kill it, unless I use signal 9... On kernel logs, I
see the "au0828-video.c:895" problem of this thread:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-April/331164.html
.... now, the thing is: in 0.24 it used to work, and it also works on
tvtime..... suggestions on this are welcome.  I'm using ubuntu 11.10,
with custom-built 3.2.15 kernel.

2. My ivtv capture card (pvr150) works, but when I transcode to mpeg4
(nuv), the quality goes down A LOT, and apparently it is because of
the interlacing (if I use linear blend deinterlacing on playback, or
with mplayer (-vf pp=lb or even pp=md) while directly playing the nuv
file, it looks better, but otherwise (without deinterlace or with
reedy highmotion deint), it looks like the vertical resolution was cut
in half) ... maybe this have always been like this, I don't know, I
didn't used to transcode a lot on 0.24, I used to record to mpeg4
directly using the USB analog tuner, and quality was good (and the
video actually looked like interlaced, the transcoded on 0.25 doesn't
look exactly like interlaced)... now, transcode from high-bitrate
mpeg2 (6000kbps average) to mpeg4 (same parameters I used to use with
950q when recording directly), doesn't look good at all
(if you need pictures, I guess I could take some samples and send them).

So: yes, 0.25 has fewer issues related to interface (for example, I no
longer have the playback quitting with "Waited 104ms for video buffers
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUuuP" kind of messages I used to have)....
and channel changing is a lot more reliable, also, as long as I
doesn't transcode, recording quality is great... but not being able to
use my second tuner, and being unable to correctly transcode to mpeg4
(and save >60% of disk space) is not good for me, so, I'd rather go
back to 0.24 (with its own UI problems) than losing the ability to use
my USB tuner and the odd transcode issues (at least until I have the
time to hunt down the issues with 0.25 and the analog usage of 950q).

So.... what is involved on downgrading from 0.25 to 0.24? (without
losing recent recordings, of course).  If this is terribly complex, I
could just stay with 0.25, and forget about my USB tuner for the time
being (until I get more time to do bug hunting).

Thanks in advance!

Ildefonso Camargo