[mythtv-users] Myth 0.21 expiring ALL shows too soon with TONS of disk space available

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed May 2 23:36:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Because the only good reason to partition something is because you're going
> to run significantly different filesystems optimized for specific tasks.

Well, not always.  In the "good ol' days", file systems
had limits that could be mitigated against by partitioning.
There was that old 32MB DOS limit.  Various versions
of ufs performed quite poorly with some large directory
sizes (everything was a sequential search).  Even today,
with ext3, a large multi-terabyte file system can take
many many hours to fsck depending on how the backend
disk array is configured.

So while your statement may be true for what are
considered more modern filesystems (gpfs, zfs,
btrfs, etc.), I will not concede it is a universal truth
(although I will concede that people should be running
modern file systems).

In any case, I do agree that applying the patch is
probably the preferred short term solution (followed
by a plan to upgrade to a "modern" version of
MythTV, which (presumably) means an upgrade
to the custom frontend.  Bits rot, and even software
should have a life-cycle replacement/upgrade plan).

Gary