[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 to 0.25 upgrade sequence questions

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed May 2 20:46:24 UTC 2012

On 5/2/2012 16:30, DFishburn wrote:

> 1.  I cannot simply save the backup and restore it to my newly
> formatted (same hardware) machine since it was at 0.21.

Sure you can.  You just need to upgrade using a version of 0.22-0.24 to
get it to at least 0.22, before 0.25 can get it the rest of the way.

> 2.  So I have to upgrade the database on a different 0.24 machine first.

Only if you can't build/install a copy of 0.24 on your current machine
for whatever reason.

> 3.  This means I have to technically change the hostname, or I might
> run into duplicates.  But I have to do this _before_ running
> mythtv-setup to perform the upgrade.

Not at all.  You only need to perform the described hostname change if
you are actually moving an existing piece of hardware to a new
hostname.  You perform the hostname change because you want to carry
those configuration settings from the old host to the new host.
Remember, MythTV operates just fine as a cluster containing many hosts.

> 4.  After running mythtv-setup, I then run mythtv-frontend which
> upgrades more of the database (videos and something else).

The plugins should update themselves fine however if your video library
is commercial content (DVDs, Bluray, migrated recordings), you will
likely want to flush those tables and start fresh.  There is a thread
describing all the tables you need to truncate to do so, but I'm
currently coming up empty trying to search for it.