[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 to 0.25 upgrade sequence questions

DFishburn dfishburn.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 2 20:30:44 UTC 2012

I am upgrading from MythTV 0.21 to 0.25.

Since my 0.21 is running on Ubuntu 7.04, I am planning on reformatting
the drive and reinstalling from scratch.

Prior to doing that, I am using 2 VMs to test my upgrade process so I
don't have any surprises.

I created two VMs, one running 0.24+fixes (Mythbuntu 11.10) and
0.25+fixes (Mythbuntu 12.04).

I have read a couple of posts on this forum, which are specific that
0.21 cannot be upgraded directly to 0.25.
*
Notice for users of old (pre-0.22) MythTV versions*
*Changing from 0.21 to 0.25 using new hardware*

I have also read this wiki entry:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

In the wiki it specifically mentions:

***

        Change the hostname of a MythTV frontend or backend

Before changing the hostname of a MythTV frontend or backend, make sure
you create a good database backup
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Quick_Start>, so
that you can get back to a known state if things go wrong.

When changing the hostname of your system, you /must/ perform the
following actions /before/ you start any MythTV programs. If you start a
MythTV program before modifying the hostname in the database, the
program will create new entries with the new hostname, meaning that the
following procedure is likely to fail because of duplicate entries.

It is also critical to ensure you do not change the name of a host to
the name of another already-existing host in the database--doing so will
cause duplicate entries. Instead, if necessary, run the command below
multiple times, using a temporary "placeholder" hostname to ensure the
different hosts are not improperly merged.

Note that changing the hostname is performed on an existing database and
does not restore a database. Therefore, to change a hostname, ensure
that the database exists (restore an old database, as above, if
necessary) and execute the following command, replacing "XXXX" and
"YYYY" with appropriate values for the old and new hostnames, respectively:

***

So, if I consider sequence.

1.  I cannot simply save the backup and restore it to my newly formatted
(same hardware) machine since it was at 0.21.
2.  So I have to upgrade the database on a different 0.24 machine first.
3.  This means I have to technically change the hostname, or I might run
into duplicates.  But I have to do this _before_ running mythtv-setup to
perform the upgrade.
4.  After running mythtv-setup, I then run mythtv-frontend which
upgrades more of the database (videos and something else).
5.  Then I would reformat my 0.21 machine, reinstall 12.04 and 0.25.
6.  Perform the same steps over again, this time with another hostname
change, but actually back to the original 0.21 name.

So I am not sure which is the correct approach.  I could forget the
hostname change completely and eventually dump the fully upgraded
database back into my fresh 0.25 install.

The other concern I had was, one of the threads above indicated,
upgrading (even through the intermediate steps) may not work completely
with 0.25 and a fresh database might be a better approach.  If this is
true, what process do you follow to dump all your recordings, schedules
and what not back into the fresh 0.25 database?

Right now, I will be following this sequence (without the hostname
change on purpose, though each machine has different hostnames):

0.21

/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl

scp file to 0.24 machine

0.24

sudo stop mythtv-backend
/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --filename mythconverg-1214-one-from-021.sql.gz

mythtv-setup
- Upgrades most of the schema
mythtv-frontend
- Upgrades the rest of the schema

/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl

scp file to 0.25 machine

0.25

sudo stop mythtv-backend
/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --filename mythconverg-1214-one-from-024.sql.gz

mythtv-setup
- Upgrades most of the schema
mythtv-frontend
- Upgrades rest of the schema

Format 0.21 machine.
Install a fresh Mythbuntu 12.04, 0.25 machine.
scp file from test 0.25 machine.

sudo stop mythtv-backend
/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database
--create_database --filename mythconverg-1214-one-from-025.sql.gz

The recordings are all on different partitions from the main Ubuntu
install, so they should just remain in place.  So after the restore, I
believe they should be immediately accessible.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave