[mythtv-users] Keep losing p2p firewire connection on dch3200

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue May 1 19:31:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 02:21:40PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> My experience has shown that any type of reset of the cable box,
>> including any disconnection of the firewire cable or power off at the
>> wall, needs to be followed by a restart of the back end. I have also
>> noticed that if the cable box gets unplugged even briefly, and replugged
>> it may receive a different port. The backend does not recover from this
>> and needs to be restarted. Also the n_p2p_connections gets reset if you
>> disconnect or power off the cable box at the wall.
>
> Right, I noticed that.
> So I think it worked a lot better for me when I was using broadcast mode: I
> did not have to reprime firewire or restart the backend, it kind of just
> worked.

I had a DCH-3200 from Comcast and had all sorts of trouble with it
over firewire.  I was never able to get it to work reliably.  I went
to Verizon FiOS for a few months, then switched back to Comcast and
got another DCH-3200.  This one has worked flawlessly, with the same
MythTV backend hardware.  I have no idea what the difference is.

> Anyway it sounds like I should go back to broadcast mode, P2P and power
> resets don't seem to mix :)

For Comcast, I can't recommend the HD HomeRun Prime highly enough.  I
now only rely on the firewire connection when I have at least three
other recordings going.

Eric