[mythtv-users] Hard Drive Problems

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue May 1 13:32:04 UTC 2012

> The drive that you show the SMART data could be dieing or this could
> be an isolated media defect. SMART attribute 197 and 198 should be
> close to 0. Both of these represent what some call drive amnesia. The
> drive wrote data that it no longer can read.

BTW, one way to tell if this is an isolated media defect or real
problem with the heads is to copy your data to a new disk (possibly
using ddrescue) and then run a 4 pattern badblocks read / write test
on the drive. If you see any bad sectors reported repeat the test if
the second time you see any badblocks reported I would call the
drive..

badblocks -wsv /dev/mydrive

remember to copy the data first as this will wipe the disk.

--
John M. Drescher