[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Tue May 1 04:57:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:44:00AM +0100, Simon Hobson (linux at thehobsons.co.uk) wrote:

> >But, I think it wouldn't make things worse if the limit was removed
> >(or increased to something like highest value of channels in
> >single MUX anywhere, i.e., at least 10)
>
> That isn't a sufficient qualification - if you pad recordings

Right you are.

> So by a simplistic interpretation, you'd need a limit of 20 or more

Yes.

> - by which point, why have a limit at all ?

Indeed.

And putting the limit in the database or making it otherwise
adjustable would rather obviously be much more work than
simply removing it altogether (or raising it to something
that only acts as a sanity check, say 1000, if it's easier
to do).

> > and the help text in setup changed to include a warning like
> >"VALUES HIGHER THAN 5 REQUIRE A VERY POWERFUL SYSTEM".

> That text might also suggest that "5 is OK". I think a link to a
> wiki page would be a good idea - then the wiki page can explain the
> issues and how to choose a "good" number.

Agreed.

At this point my preference would be getting rid of the limit,
adding some warning in the help message and link to wiki.

--
Tapani Tarvainen