[mythtv-users] Upgrading from pre-0.22 MythTV versions

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:05:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 5:20 PM,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>    > Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:17:15 +1300
>    > From: Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com>
>
>    > For the canonical packages, they stay at the (ubuntu) release-date
>    > version, as this search shows:
>
>    > http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=mythtv-frontend&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
>
>    > For the mythbuntu repos you get updates. For example on 10.04, you can
>    > get the latest 0.24-fixes as well as master (which they describe as
>
> How "latest" is "latest", and is there some easy way to tell without
> actually downloading the rpm?

I suppose you mean .deb not .rpm

You can look at the packages here
http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.24/ubuntu/pool/main/m/mythtv/ and
as at posting the latest available there is
0.24.2-fixes.20120316-322de47 - in oter words as at 16 March. My
understanding is that they build whenever there is a commit (but no
more than once a day)

> I'm having a surprisingly difficult
> time figuring this out just from the site; latest announcement I
> see is undated but points at 0.24.1, which is not the latest -fixes
> as I understand it, and I'm still trying to establish if the very
> latest -fixes is going to be required to avoid the 6-8 hour deadlock
> that prompted all this.
>
>    > 0.25, although it is not as 0.25 is not yet released)
>
>    > from the repos FAQ:
>
>    > How long will you keep doing builds for my version of Ubuntu?
>
>    >   If your version of Ubuntu is an LTS release, you can expect to
>    > have any MythTV version released up until the next Ubuntu LTS
>    > available to you.
>
> Does anyone know if this means the 3 years that LTS is supported on
> the desktop (pre-12.04), or the 5 that it's supported on the server,
> or as they literally say, "until the next LTS available"?  If the
> latter, it's kinda the perfect storm, since 10.04 MythBuntu will lose
> support within the month, just as 0.25 comes out, meaning that
> 0.24-fixes might not even get its final build done on that 10.04
> and/or that in any event there'll be no support thereafter---just as
> 0.25 breaks upgrading and becomes the only version available in 12.04.

I suspect the desktop cycle rather than the server.

>    >   If your version of Ubuntu is a standard release, you will have the
>    > version of MythTV that was available in that release as well as one
>    > more afterward.  So if the release launched with 0.23, you will have
>    > 0.23 and 0.24 available to you.
>
> Though I still haven't heard if the very-latest-0.24-fixse will be
> required to upgrade an older Myth to something 0.25 can accept, in
> which case I can't use those without recompiling.

No you need something 0.22 or greater for 0.25 to be able to update
your database. You can update to basically any version that is 0.22 or
+  to get a database that will enable you to update to 0.25.

> P.S.  I'm also still trying to determine if I can -guarantee- that
> any 0.24 version -will not- attempt to upgrade a random older Myth it
> happens to see on the network, no matter whether I'm running its
> backend, frontend, setup, etc, and maybe even if it's not the very
> latest 0.24-fixes [because who knows what version I might wind up
> getting], and if not, which ports should I firewall so I can test
> safely?  I want to be able to run 0.24-fixes, and later 0.25, for
> quite time to to test everything, while my much older production myth
> is online and operating.  Tnx.

Not sure, accidents can happen, but maybe maintaining two subnets is
the way to go.

If you properly set what backend your frontend connects to this should
not happen. Of course a database backup fixes it anyway. You _do_ know
about the official backup and restore scripts - refer to the wiki :)