[mythtv-users] Access Mythtv from Roku

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Thu Mar 29 00:42:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012, at 03:22 PM, Robert Dege wrote:

  Finally, I found MythRokuPlayer.  I was able to download the
  files via git, but have not tested it out yet.  The Readme
  appears to be somewhat old.
  Before I invest time and energy trying to get the
  MythRokuPlayer to work (does it work with 0.24-2?), I was
  curious if anyone knew of any other alternatives, or if there
  is an alternate download site to the Roku HD Frontend.
  Any info is appreciated.

I use mythrokuplayer - there is a private channel code out there
so you don't have to side load the channel.  You basically follow
the readme to make sure your mythweb is setup to server to the
mythrokuplayer... then you transcode your files that you want to
show up using the scripts in that github, since the roku must
have an mp4.

I have a user job defined to transcode to mp4 with normal
commercials, along with a modified script to harcut out the
commercials.  Using the script with handbrake and the iphone
settings work well, but that give you an SD quality picture,
which works fine for me - YMMV.

You can always ask for help on the roku forum - there is a thread
dedicated to the mythrokuplayer channel/setup.

It works great, BTW. :)  I use it for shows I want to show up on
my roku to supplement my frontend - it doesn'w work well as your
only frontend, though...
--
Kris B.
[1]krisbee at krisbee.com