[mythtv-users] 0.25 Remote setup

Erik Jensen eriksjunk at laurelwoodart.com
Wed Mar 28 02:27:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Dave Badia <dbadia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >
> > Specifically a setting (and the supporting code) that allowed you to run a
> > script on every LIRC button event received by MythTV.
> >
> > Way more detail than you wanted:
> >
> > The implementation meant that the script would be executed for every single
> > button on your remote that was mapped to MythTV, and the same script would
> > be executed for every single button, and the script execution would be
> > repeated when you held down, say, the volume button (for each separate
> > button repeat sent by LIRC), and it only worked with LIRC button presses (so
> > no audio feedback when using a keyboard to initiate an action).
> >
> > So, to make it somewhat useful, you had to write a very complex script that
> > knew what to do for each button press and when to ignore button
> > presses/repeats and when to apply a delay before repeats and ... basically,
> > you had to re-implement irexec in your script.  So I just cut out the middle
> > man and now you can use irexec--the LIRC program that was specifically
> > written to run a script on a button press.
> >
> > Note, also, that irexec is /not/ irxevent (which is likely what you're
> > thinking of).  It does not send an X key press to an app (as does irxevent),
> > it executes a script on a button press (but with full support for per-button
> > mapping, repeat, delay, ...).
> >
> > AFAIR, the setting was originally added as a hack to allow playing an audio
> > sample on button presses for audio feedback, but its implementation was so
> > primitive that it was useless for that purpose, so I doubt many have ever
> > used it (and that anyone who has used it kept it enabled for more than a few
> > minutes--I tested it before removing it and was extremely annoyed withing
> > 30s).  Using irexec has only benefits and no downsides--once you figure out
> > how you can take your mythtv config in lircrc and use global search/replace
> > to morph it into an irexec config that works exactly like the legacy MythTV
> > setting--and then can start to customize it to make, for example, different
> > buttons play different audio files (be-boop for fast-forward and boop-be for
> > rewind and no audio feedback for toggle), use different LIRC repeat and
> > delay settings (which needn't be tied to the settings used by MythTV), ...
> >
> > If anyone wants real support in MythTV for audio feedback on actions, they
> > need to do a proper implementation that does not use a hack (such as
> > spawning a new process for each beep through a system call to a script--it
> > needs to use MythTV's built-in audio support), that is not hardware specific
> > (i.e. works the same for all actions, whether received via keyboard, LIRC,
> > network control, ...), and that allows proper customization (likely through
> > some sort of audio theme).
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I know this is an old thread but in prep for .25 I have to ask....
>
> I recently setup a bluetooth remote and am using this functionality in
> [...]

You can use XBindKeys (http://www.nongnu.org/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html)
to execute scripts in response to keypresses.

That being said, does anyone know if there is a way to set up scripts
that can be executed via the frontend's telnet interface in 0.25?

I use a network-based remote control most of the time.

Thanks,
Erik