[mythtv-users] How to configure a HVR-1300 for analog TV

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Mar 27 18:57:07 UTC 2012

On 03/26/2012 11:51 PM, Tony Sauri wrote:

> There are in fact 3 devices on the card
>
> a) A traditional Analogue Frame Grabber /dev/video0
> b) An IVTV style Analogue MPEG Encoder   /dev/video1
> c) A DVB-T Capture Device		/dev/dvb/adapter? .....
>
> Each of the Analogue devices support 3 different inputs :
> 	0 - TV (Antenna)
> 	1 - Composite
> 	2 - SVideo
>
> To configure the Analogue Devices in myth-setup
> 	Add a new capture card  The system will choose to setup the /dev/video0
> 	device and seems to take sensible defaults.
> 	Complete any additional fields according to your requirements and "Finish"
> 	Add a new capture card. The system will again choose the /dev/video0
> 	device with the same defaults.  Now change the card type to the "IVTV MPEG
> 	encoder" you will get a probe failed message. Now enter the dev
> 	address /dev/video1 and the system will now be happy with your choices.

Thanks.

OK, so now I have a V4L analog device at /dev/video0 and IVTV MPEG
encoder at /dev/video1

I would think that tuning and thus having a "Video Source" assigned is
solely the business of the analog device and that the 2 devices need to
be connected somehow. But I do not see how the label "Video Source"
makes any sense, do not see any option to connect the 2.

So I created a "no grabber" video source, because the machine currently
lacks an internet connection. I assigned this source for the analog
device's Television input, triggered a scan.

Somewhere I read that there's no need for channel scan for analogue, but
I really have no clue and feel to have even less after googling around.

The result is that "Watch TV" shows all channels as solid black. I did
not find an option to tell the frontend from where to get the signal.

> I am at this stage currently.  I can make the DVB_T device and analogue mpeg
> encoder (TV input) to  play nicely together but when I try and get the
> composite input working (Which would probably be your goal) I am currently
> having difficulties.  Try making the composite the default input and do not
> connect the TV and SVideo inputs to any source. I haven't tried this yet it
> will be my next experiment.

Actually only the (physical) Television input is in use.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/